Safety Instructions (dart E)#
The safety instructions below apply to Basler dart E camera modules. Basler can't be held responsible for any damage or injury due to incorrect handling of the product and ignoring the safety instructions.
General Safety Notices#
More specific safety notices appear throughout this documentation where applicable.
WARNING – Electric Shock Hazard
Unapproved power supplies may cause electric shock. Serious injury or death may occur.
- You must use power supplies that meet the Safety Extra Low Voltage (SELV) and Limited Power Source (LPS) requirements.
- If you use a powered hub or powered switch, they must meet the SELV and LPS requirements.
WARNING – Fire Hazard
Unapproved power supplies may cause fire and burns.
- You must use power supplies that meet the Limited Power Source (LPS) requirements.
- If you use a powered hub or powered switch, they must meet the LPS requirements.
NOTICE – Voltage outside of the specified range may damage the camera module.
- You must supply I/O power within the safe operating voltage ranges given in the camera module specification.
NOTICE – Using unsuitable lenses may damage components or the lens itself.
Make sure that your lens is compatible with the lens mount dimensions given in the Maximum Allowed Lens Intrusion topic. If you try to mount a lens with an overall lens intrusion that is larger than specified, you may damage the lens or the filter holder and the camera module may not work properly anymore.
Suitable lenses are available via the Basler website.
NOTICE – Dust on the sensor may impair the camera module's performance.
- Make sure that the module is pointing down whenever you remove or replace the lens or a lens adapter.
- If the module is not installed, store it in its original packaging.
NOTICE – Conductive contact may damage the circuit board.
Whenever you work with the camera module, make sure that the circuit board has no conductive contact with other objects. Conductive contact can cause short circuits or overvoltages which can damage the camera module.
NOTICE – Electrostatic discharge (ESD) may damage the sensor and the circuit board.
Use anti-static clothes and materials, e.g., conductive shoes, anti-static gloves, and ESD protection wrist straps to decrease the risk of electrostatic discharge.
Use conductive materials and install conductive mats at the point of installation (e.g., floor, workplace) to prevent the generation of static electricity.
Control the humidity in your environment. Low humidity can cause ESD problems.
Observe the following items:
- If you are using an S-mount camera module, do not remove the camera front. The camera front and the circuit board are firmly riveted. Both parts may be damaged if you remove the camera front.
- Do not allow liquid, flammable, or metallic material to come into contact with the board. Otherwise, it may fail or cause a fire.
- Do not remove the camera module's serial number label. It contains the serial number.
- Do not operate the camera module in the vicinity of strong electromagnetic fields. Avoid electrostatic charging. For more information, see Avoiding EMI and ESD Problems.
- Transport and store the camera module in its original packaging only. Do not discard the packaging.
- If possible, do not clean the sensor. If you must clean it, follow the cleaning instructions, which will also tell you about cleaning the camera housing.
- Read the camera documentation carefully before using the camera module.
Conformity, Intended Use, and Authorized Users#
Life support applications#
These products are not designed for use in life support appliances, devices, or systems where malfunction of these products can reasonably be expected to result in personal injury. Basler customers using or selling these products for use in such applications do so at their own risk and agree to fully indemnify Basler for any damages resulting from such improper use or sale.
FCC and CE conformity#
Basler dart camera modules are OEM components. They are not intended for incorporation by end-users. Users who integrate dart camera modules into their systems should perform appropriate testing regarding electromagnetic interference and apply CE and FCC conformity.
However, conformity tests have been performed using dart camera modules with a metallic back installed on the rear side of the camera. This setup has been found to comply with the CE and FCC requirements pursuant to EN 55022 and FCC Part 15, Subpart B rules.
Basler digital cameras for machine vision are designed exclusively for indoor professional image capture. Temperature and humidity requirements apply as detailed in the camera's "Environmental Requirements" section of the Basler Product Documentation. All relevant product documentation must be observed, including directions for correct camera use.
The cameras must not be used for the following:
- Purposes and installations requiring special camera certification other than mentioned in the Basler Product Documentation.
- Purposes and installations requiring specific design and precautions for use under harsh conditions.
If in doubt whether a specific camera is compatible with certain operating conditions and uses, contact your salesperson.
Basler digital cameras for machine vision are designed for use by professionals only, concerned with the following tasks:
- Selection of cameras for use
- Camera integration and setup
- Everyday camera use
The Basler Product Documentation assumes the skills of electrical engineers, systems engineers, mechatronics engineers, technicians, and information technology engineers.
Camera use is not allowed for persons with insufficient skills or with impairments that prevent them from doing the following tasks:
- Using cameras correctly
- Adhering to the safety instructions
- Fully understanding all relevant camera documentation