Installing VisualApplets Step-by-Step#
- Install the VisualApplets software
- Install the required Xilinx tools
- Configure VisualApplets for accessing the Xilinx tools during Build
To install the VisualApplets Software:
Run the installer that comes with the VisualApplets DVD or execute the VisualApplets installation file VAsetup3.x.exe by double-clicking the program icon.
The Select Setup Language dialog opens up:
Select the desired language for the setup wizard and confirm with OK.
In the following dialog you must accept the legal terms and conditions of using cryptographic software, like OpenSSL, to enable Basler's version control tool. This tool will create a SSL/TLS secured connection to the Basler server. As the export and use of cryptographic software is made illegal in some countries you have to be sure that you don't act against local law when accepting these terms. If you are unsure, please press Decline.
- Accepting allows you to make use of the Basler Update feature. The Update feature allows you to check on new VisualApplets versions via mouse click (GUI: menu Help > Check for Updates), or to configure VisualApplets to automatically check for newer VisualApplets versions at each program start (GUI: menu Settings > System Settings > Common > Updates).
- Accepting will start immediate download of two OpenSSL libraries that are used to open a SSL/TLS secured connection to the Basler server.
To use the Basler Update feature, you need to ensure
- a working internet connection
- an appropriate firewall exception.
Check for your circumstances of use if you are allowed to use OpenSSL. If yes, select the Accept option and click on Next. (Otherwise, keep Decline activated. In this case, Basler's version control tool will not be enabled.)
If you accepted the use of OpenSSL, the installer immediately checks if a newer version than the one you are about to install is available.
- If you are already installing the latest version, you get an according message. Click Next to proceed.
- If a newer VisualApplets version is available, you can decide if you want to
- switch to installing this newer version (by clicking one of the links), or
- proceed installing the version of the installer you just started (by clicking Skip).
If you decide to install the newer version, the according installer is downloaded and started automatically.
In the following dialog, select the installation directory. Confirm the default setting with Next or edit the path manually (via Browse button or directly in the input field).
Full Access Rights Required
As destination directory for your VisualApplets installation, select
- the user folder or
- any other folder you have full access rights to.
Alternatively, you are free to use any folder as your VisualApplets installation directory if you can start VisualApplets as administrator.
Select the installation components by predefined installation profiles:
- You can simply use the Full installation profile.
- If you want to reduce the volume of the installation:
- under Hardware platform, deselect the support for all platforms you are not planning to write applets for, and
- under Target operating systems for applets, deselect all operating systems that you know will never be used on the host PCs of the image processing systems you are writing the applets for (Windows 32bit, Windows 64bit, Linux 32bit, or Linux 64bit).
Target OS for LightBridge 2 Platforms
LightBridge 2 is a Thunderbolt certified product. This certification is for Windows operating systems only. Nevertheless, as support for Thunderbolt is given in the latest kernels from kernel.org, Lightbridge 2 may operate in a Linux environment. Please be aware that this will be at your own risk, as no support for Linux is given at the moment.
MS Visual Studio Redistribution Package
The installation of the Microsoft Visual Studio Redistribution Package is mandatory.
Define a name for the group in the Start Menu folder:
Select further installation options:
- All users/Current user: The file VisualApplets.ini will be written into the corresponding windows folder All Users or Current User, considering the windows system user accounts.
- User-independent: The file VisualApplets.ini will be written into the VisualApplets installation folder. The installation is independent from the windows system user account management. This option allows the parallel installation of multiple VisualApplets versions.
- If you want to have an icon of VisualApplets on your desktop, check the box Create a desktop icon.
Confirm with Next. Your complete installation profile is listed:
If you want to edit the list, use the Back button to change the settings in the according dialog windows.
To start the installation, click the Install button. The progress bar displays the status of the current installation:
The installation is completed when the following screen appears:
Full Access Rights Required
To enjoy all features of VisualApplets, you need to have full access rights to the installation folder. Alternatively, you can start VisualApplets by right-clicking on the Start Menu entry and selecting the Run as administrator option in the context menu.